The AFE031 is a low-cost, integrated, powerline communications (PLC) analog front-end (AFE) device that is capable of capacitive- or transformer-coupled connections to the powerline while under the control of a DSP or microcontroller. It is ideal for driving low-impedance lines that require up to 1.5 A into reactive loads. The integrated receiver is able to detect signals down to 20 µVRMS and is capable of a wide range of gain options to adapt to varying inputsignal conditions. This monolithic integrated circuit provides high reliability in demanding powerline communications applications.
The AFE031 transmit power amplifier operates from a single supply in the range of 7 V to 24 V. At maximum output current, a wide output swing provides a 12-VPP (IOUT = 1.5 A) capability with a nominal 15-V supply. The analog and digital signal processing circuitry operates from a single 3.3-V power supply.
The AFE031 is internally protected against overtemperature and short-circuit conditions. It also provides an adjustable current limit. An interrupt output is provided that indicates both current limit and thermal limit. There is also a shutdown pin that can be used to quickly put the device into its lowest power state. Through the four-wire serial peripheral interface, or SPI™, each functional block can be enabled or disabled to optimize power dissipation.
The AFE031 is housed in a thermally-enhanced, surface-mount PowerPAD package (QFN-48). Operation is specified over the extended industrial junction temperature range of –40°C to +125°C.
- Integrated Powerline Driver with Thermal and Overcurrent Protection
- Conforms to EN50065-1
- PRIME Certified
- Large Output Swing: 12 VPP at 1.5 A (15-V Supply)
- Low Power Consumption: 15 mW (Receive Mode)
- Programmable Tx and Rx Filters
- Supports EN50065 CENELEC Bands A, B, C, D
- Supports FSK, S-FSK, and OFDM
- Supports PRIME, G3, IEC 61334
- Receive Sensitivity: 20 µVRMS, Typical
- Programmable Tx and Rx Gain Control
- Four-Wire Serial Peripheral Interface
- Two Integrated Zero Crossing Detectors
- Two-Wire Transceiver Buffer
- 48-Pin QFN PowerPAD™ Package
- Extended Junction Temperature Range: –40°C to +125°C